Passport to Independence Application
This introductory letter is for all prospective applicants for Becoming Independent’s “Passport to Independence” Program.
Becoming Independent is pleased to announce the launch of “Passport to Independence,” an innovative program designed to better meet the immediate needs of our region’s rapidly expanding population of young adults with autism. Individuals accepted into this program will benefit from established goals, direct teaching, hands-on activities, real life application, and homework in order to improve understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), and self-care. This customized educational approach seeks to assist individuals to improve life skills, health, education, social interactions, community connectivity, and employment outcomes.
We’re actively seeking individuals who are motivated to participate in this pioneering new program. Following is a list of entrance criteria.
- Interested parties need to be 18 years of age or older, and must be eligible for Regional Center referral, or have other means of paying for services.
- Everyone in the program has a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and/or exhibits autism-like characteristics.
- All individuals are able to independently speak, read and write, and are independent with personal care needs.
- Everyone in the program is able to meet his/her own health needs, safety, and/or ISP objectives. In addition, all students have a high level of motivation to reach or exceed an attendance rate of 85%.
- All individuals have a high level of motivation to engage in volunteer and employment opportunities, and to explore career interests and participate in skill building classes.
Thank you for your interest in Becoming Independent’s “Passport to Independence” program. Please find our application below. The application is intended to be filled out by the person entering the program – of course, assistance from supports is welcomed. We are available and encourage any questions that you may have. Once your application has been received and reviewed, potential program individuals will be contacted for an interview.